Monday, June 29, 2009

the great restaurant list

After my lunch out today with Mr. Redline, it got me thinking about putting together a list of my favorite DC places to eat and drink. And because I'm awesome, I've linked you to all the websites/menus. To make you drool.

So, in no particular order (except the first one!)
- Founding Farmers (20th and Pennsylvania Ave NW) - something for everyone. Leed Certified, organic and local stuff, sandwiches, seafood, fresh pasta, salad, and brunch? Oh the brunches....Hands down my favorite restaurant, there isn't a bad thing on the menu. Pretty casual.
- Nooshi (19th St. between L and M in NW): Noodles and sushi. My favorite dish? Honey Peanut Chicken (slightly spicy marinated chicken over noodles. yum.)
- Good Stuff Eatery (303 Pennsylvania Ave, SE): burgers and milkshakes? not much better! That and my friend goes gaga every time she sees Spike. It's a riot.
- Well Dressed Burrito (in an alley between M and N on 19th Street, NW): Only open during the week from about 11:45am - 1:45pm, it forms a line quick but damn is it good! And cheap, too - my burrito cost $6.05 (including tax) and I was loafing around all afternoon and most of the evening. I hear the specials are great, too.
- Afghan Grill (2309 Calvert Street, at the corner of Connecticut Ave NW): Not only is it where I decided I should apply for my apartment (which is within walking distance), but it's where I decided I adore kabobs. It looks fancy but it's not stuffy. It's just really, really good.
- Proof (775 G Street, near Gallery Place): Wine-centric restaurant. The wine list is over 50 pages long, and some of the bottles are in the $1,000's of dollars. The food is absolutely outstanding, and the cheese plate is out of this world. This is the place to go to impress, or if you want a little snobbery with dinner (but come on, with wines older than yourself and food that tastes this good, it's worth it).
- CoCo Sala (929 F Street, NW): This is your dessert destination. They have small plates but go for the dessert and the hot chocolate flights. It's literally melted chocolate. The peanut butter hot chocolate and mint hot chocolate are my favorites.
- District Chophouse (509 7th Street, NW near Gallery Place): I went here one time and they made us move tables, so they comped our drinks. Nice. Perfect when I just want a steak. Or onion soup. Mmmmm.....
- Petit Plats (Connecticut Ave NW, across from Woodley Park metro): Great French restaurant without the typical stuffy French attitude. I also recommend the desserts.
- Elephant & Castle (19th and I Street, NW): British Pub with lots of beer and yummy food. They have sweet potato fries which I adore, and it's literally across the street from my office.
- Restaurant Nora (2132 Florida Ave, NW): Okay. so this is a really pricey place, but the food melts in your mouth. Really romantic and cozy inside.
- Lauriol Plaza (1835 18th Street, NW): I've only been here once but been craving it ever since. Mexican fabulosity. My burrito was just right, the chips and salsa were super fresh, and the sangria was def. easy going down.
- Cleveland Park Bar & Grill (Cleveland Park on Connecticut Ave, NW): Their rail drinks are always $5, and they are in a regular, tall, glass. It's a steal. The food is really tasty too, and they have wall to wall tvs. Super chill. It's on the same side of the street as my apartment, so it's totally within stumbling distance.
- Tryst (2459 18th Street in Adams Morgan): Coffeehouse and bar? Um, did someone say heaven?! It looks like you walked into Central Perk with all their couches, except that the art is better and they rotate it on a pretty regular basis. Tasty small plates of food get me ready for a night of drinking. My drink of choice here is the Martin Blanco- an iced latte (with hand pulled espresso), plus amaretto, vanilla vodka, and coffee liquor. Knocks my socks off.... pair that with a belgian waffle at about midnight? Awesome.
- Four P's (Cleveland Park on Connecticut Ave, NW): Irish Pub. Outstanding Irish stew. Live music, beer and a big 'ol tv.
- Veritas (Florida Ave at Connecticut Ave, NW): This is THE wine bar. Oh. so. good! They have plenty of choices by the glass, and they literally turn around at the bar, and pour it out of a giant spout. They are super chill, can make great recommendations, and they make their chocolate truffles in-house. :-)

Starving and/or thirsty yet? Don't forget to invite me ;-)

2 comments:

  1. The only place you missed is Malaysia Kopitiam! Amazing food, amazing service, and really cheap!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting you should mention that - I've had a lot of mixed reviews from friends from that place and as a result haven't tried it yet. Maybe I'll give it a whirl, it's pretty close to where I work :-)

    ReplyDelete