Tuesday, January 13, 2009

i miss my beach house.


I started my pilates class today. I totally missed doing it, even the movements that I remembered I didn't like and/or do well.

It's from 6-7, and I get out from work at 5:30. I was basically power-walking to the metro, then walked up the escalator, and for those of you who don't know, the Woodley Park metro escalator is VERY LONG! Got out, crossed the street, walk up MORE stairs, arrive 10 minutes early and totally out of breath. 

My instructor is really cool, she used to be a dancer and choreographer, and those are the kind of instructors you want teaching pilates. She was totally laid-back and very attuned to each person in the class and took time with everyone. The class itself was tiny - there were no more than 8-10 people there, which was calming and a nice change of pace from the class I had in college, where there were at least 20-25 (some of which were not focused or into it at all).

I know I'm going to feel awful tomorrow because my tummy will be so sore I won't be able to move, but when you move past that feeling, it's awesome! I missed being toned and that healthy feeling. Makes you sit up straight, your back feels better,  and having some time to yourself in this class makes you forget everything you'd been worrying about because you have to focus so much of your energy on the breathing and movements.

But on to my title: the Woodley Park Yoga studio is on the third floor of a tiny building on Connecticut Ave. Gorgeous hardwood floors, and pastel colors on the walls. Reminded me way too much of my now-gone beach house. One of the walls was a combination of the peach we used to have in the great room, paired with the serene peach-pink I had in my room. It made me a little sad, but also a little happy to see.

I love you, beach house!


No comments:

Post a Comment